Redefining Mainstream Popular Music.
Redefining Mainstream Popular Music is a collection of seventeen essays that critically examines the idea of the "mainstream" in and across a variety of popular music styles and contexts. Notions of what is popular vary across generations and cultures - what may have been considered altern...
Taylor & Francis Group,
|Online Access:||Click to View|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- REDEFINING MAINSTREAM POPULAR MUSIC
- Part I Reappraising the Mainstream
- 1 Mainstream as Metaphor: Imagining Dominant Culture
- 2 Teenybop and the Extraordinary Particularities of Mainstream Practice
- 3 Historicizing Mainstream Mythology: The Industrial Organization of The Archies
- Part II Perceptions of the Mainstream
- 4 Lesbian Musicalities, Queer Strains and Celesbian Pop: The Poetics and Polemics of Women-Loving Women in Mainstream Popular Music
- 5 The Positioning of the Mainstream in Punk
- 6 Kill the Static: Temporality and Change in the Hip-Hop Mainstream (and Its 'Other')
- 7 The Contradictions of the Mainstream: Australian Views of Grunge and Commercial Success
- Part III Historicizing the Mainstream
- 8 Elvis Goes to Hollywood: Authenticity, Resistance, Commodification and the Mainstream
- 9 Walking in Memphis?: Elvis Heritage Between Fan Fantasy and Built Environment
- 10 'Following in Mother's Silent Footsteps': Revisiting the Construction of Femininities in 1960s Popular Music
- 11 Music From Abroad: The Internationalization of the US Mainstream Music Market, 1940-90
- Part IV Production Aesthetics and the Mainstream
- 12 'Sounds Like an Official Mix': The Mainstream Aesthetics of Mash-Up Production
- 13 Chasing an Aesthetic Tail: Latent Technological Imperialism in Mainstream Production
- 14 The Hobbyist Majority and the Mainstream Fringe: The Pathways of Independent Music-Making in Brisbane, Australia
- Part V The Mainstream and Vernacular Culture
- 15 Off the Beaten Track: The Vernacular and the Mainstream in New Zealand Tramping Club Singsongs
- 16 Musical Listening at Work: Mainstream Musical Listening Practices in the Office Listening Practices in the Office
- 17 Cheesy Listening: Popular Music and Ironic Listening Practices.
- List of Contributors