Identity in Algerian Politics : The Legacy of Colonial Rule.
J.N.C. Hill explores the multiple causes of two decades of profound political change, social and economic upheaval, and bitter conflict in postindependence Algeria. Hill focuses on the relationship between identity and sociopolitical stability as he examines the trajectory of Algerian nation buildin...
Boulder, CO :
Lynne Rienner Publishers,
|Online Access:||Click to View|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Book Title
- Table of Contents
- 2-French Colonial Rule and Its Enduring Legacies
- Nationalism and Nation Building in Africa
- French Colonial Policy and Doctrine
- Invasion, Conquest, and Resistance: The Battle for Algeria
- Assimilation and the Mission Civilisatrice: Turning Algerians into Frenchmen
- 3-Algerian Nationalism and the War of Liberation
- Resistance and Nationalism in the Twentieth Century
- The War of Liberation
- 4-Independence and the Challenges of Nation Building
- A House Divided Against Itself
- The Nation-Building Process Under Ahmed Ben Bella
- The Nation-Building Process Under Houari Boumedienne
- The Nation-Building Process Under Chadli Benjedid
- 5-Economic Crisis and the Descent into Violence
- The Economy Collapses
- Discontent and Democratization
- The Military Intervenes and the Islamists Respond
- The Nation-Building Process Under the Haute Comité d'Etat
- The Nation-Building Process Under Liamine Zéroual
- 6-National Identity and the Ongoing Struggle
- Down But Not Out: The Insurgents Endure
- Countering the Insurgency
- The Nation-Building Process Under Abdelaziz Bouteflika
- About the Book.