Another Road to Damascus : An Integrative Approach to 'Abd Al-Qadir Al-Jaza'iri (1808-1883).
De Gruyter, Inc.,
|Online Access:||Click to View|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- The Many Lives of ʿAbd al-Qādir al-Jazā'irī
- Aims and Methods
- An Overview of Sources
- Chapter Outline
- 1.0 Chapter One - Sirah Sayfiyyah: ʿAbd al-Qadir in North Africa, 1833- 1848
- 1.1 First Steps and Interpretive Framework
- 1.2 Origins
- 1.3 ʿAbd al-Qādir's Internal Policy
- 1.4 ʿAbd al-Qādir's Relations with France
- 1.5 ʿAbd al-Qādir's Relations with Morocco
- 1.6 Conclusion
- 2.0 Chapter Two - ʿAbd al-Qādir's Risālah on Hijrah
- 2.1 Style and Presentation
- 2.2 Sources
- 2.3 Forms of Inference and Argumentation
- 2.4 Further Themes: Sincerity and Hypocrisy
- 2.5 Faith, Nation, and Legitimation - The secondary literature in light of the Risalah on Hijrah
- 3.0 Chapter Three - Exile and Imprisonment on the Road to Damascus
- 3.1 Imprisonment
- 3.2 Trial and Tribulation
- 3.3 Release
- 3.4 A 'Road to Damascus' Moment?
- 3.5 Continuity
- 4.0 Chapter Four - From Istanbul to Damascus, 1853-1864
- 4.1 An Algerian Island off the Sea of Marmara
- 4.2 A Reminder to the Reasonable and an Admonishment to the Negligent
- 4.3 The Dhikrā and a European Conversion
- 4.4 Arrival in Damascus, 1855
- 4.5 Riot, Rescue, and Representation
- 5.0 Chapter Five - Sīrah Ṣūfiyyah: Sufism, Suspicion, and the Kitāb al-Mawāqif
- 5.1 Major Themes in the Kitāb al-Mawāqif
- 5.2 ʿAbd al-Qādir's Later Life and Politics: Reading Conversion into the Kitāb al-Mawāqif
- 5.3 ' Abd al-Qadir's Conversion to Pluralism: Investigating the Evidence
- 5.4 The Western Roots of ʿAbd al-Qādir's Spiritual 'Conversion'
- 6.0 Conclusion
- 6.1 Another Road to Damascus
- 6.2 Reflections on the Road Onward
- Bibliography - Archival Sources
- Texts by ?Abd al-Qadir al-Jaza'iri
- Additional Primary Sources
- Secondary Sources.
- Appendix A - ʿAbd al-Qādir's Risālah on Hijrah
- Appendix B - ʿAbd al-Qādir's Mawqif #254 ('He Is [Like] That')
- Author Index.