Holman QuickSource Guide to the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Acclaimed professor Craig A. Evans gives a thoroughly researched and colorfully illustrated overview of the Dead Sea Scrolls and their importance for Christianity.
B&H Publishing Group,
|Series:||Holman QuickSource Ser.
|Online Access:||Click to View|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Part I-Discovery and Importance: Basic Facts About the Scrolls
- 1 Lost
- 2 Found
- 3 Why the Scrolls Matter
- 4 The Dead Sea Region
- Part II-The Science of the Scrolls
- 5 The Science of Dating the Scrolls
- 6 Restoring and Preserving the Scrolls
- Part III-Historical Context of the Scrolls
- 7 History Between the Testaments
- 8 Historical Groups and the Dead Sea Scrolls
- 9 Historical Figures Mentioned in the Scrolls
- 10 Historical Nicknames and Veiled References in the Scrolls
- Part IV-From Cave to Publication: Bringing History to Light
- 11 The Scrolls, Cave by Cave
- 12 The First Scrolls to Be Published
- 13 The Second Round of Scrolls
- Part V-Who Were the Essenes?
- 14 The Essenes According to Philo
- 15 The Essenes According to Josephus
- 16 The Essenes According to Pagan Writers
- 17 The Essene Identity: Archaeological Evidence from Qumran
- Part VI-Faith and Practices According to the Scrolls
- 18 How the Essenes Interpreted Scripture
- 19 How the Essenes Worshipped God
- 20 How the Essenes Related to the Priests of Jerusalem
- 21 The Essenes and the End Times
- Part VII-The Scrolls and the Old Testament
- 22 How Well Is the Bible Preserved in the Scrolls?
- 23 The Scrolls and the Canon of Scripture
- 24 The Scrolls and Popular Bible Figures
- Part VIII-The Scrolls and Jesus
- 25 The Scrolls and John the Baptist
- 26 The Scrolls and the Coming Messiah
- 27 The Scrolls and the Teaching of Messiah
- Part IX-The Scrolls and the New Testament
- 28 The Scrolls and Paul
- 29 The Scrolls and Hebrews, James, and Jude
- 30 The Scrolls and Revelation
- 31 Are Some of the Scrolls from the New Testament?
- Part X-Conclusion
- 32 Summary Q&
- A on the Dead Sea Scrolls
- Appendix 1 Major Scrolls Publications
- Appendix 2 Major Scrolls Players.